Friday, September 30, 2011

Feeding Didz

If you know me at all, you know I love to cook. It gives me so much joy to prepare something and share it with the people I love. The hour before dinner is my favorite time of day... I put on some music, I pour myself a glass of wine, pull out all the ingredients I need and start chopping, slicing, and dicing, while sipping (and singing)... I love trying new recipes, always putting my own little twist on them (usually making it spicier). Since coming to Belgium, however, I've been sticking to my tried and true favorites - meals that I can make with my eyes closed with ingredients I can easily find here.

Mushroom Risotto

Going grocery shopping always takes about an hour, requires a bit of guesswork, and has certainly caused some frustrations (I walked around the entire store 5 times looking for eggs last week). And since I haven't learned the Dutch names for meat yet, I've been a little hesitant to buy anything other than chicken.

Linguine with garlic, tomatoes, mushrooms and basil
Even buying fish was tricky - I didn't want salmon (though it was easiest to recognize), and didn't know what the others were. I might as well have eeny-meeny-miney-mo-ed while standing there looking at my options.

Mustard-roasted fish, with pan roasted veggies with thyme 
Today however, is a new day, and I will bravely enter the grocery store and buy ground beef - because Didz wants a hamburger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment