Monday, March 18, 2013

5 Months



Dear Didzette,

Between all the packing and moving and traveling and adjusting and unpacking and all the rest of the hullaballoo lately we nearly forgot to acknowledge that you're five months old today! You've been such a trooper during this hectic transition - smiling at flight attendants and strangers in airports, sleeping in new places, meeting new people and getting passed around to many sets of arms. It's pretty incredible how well you've been handling it all, actually. You've gotten through all of this in much better shape than both your daddy and I. So thank you, little bug. We promise one day soon we'll settle down and you'll have a room to call your own with a proper bed, and the travel crib you've been living in will go into storage.

Now, it might be because all this change is too much, or it might just be cause you love me, but the past couple days you've been super clingy. Yesterday you wouldn't even let your daddy hold you. You strained your whole body with arms outstretched to get back into my arms and nuzzle your head into my neck and let out an audible sigh of relief. I know how you feel bug, sometimes all I want is my mama, too. I'm 30 years old, and there are still times when all I want to do is snuggle up with her and know that everything will be ok. I'm sure there will be a phase during the dreaded teenage years when you'll be embarrassed to be seen with me, but I hope you always know you can rest your head on my shoulder and know it'll all be alright.

Because it will be alright, bug. You don't have to worry about a thing. I know you miss napping in your stroller along the bumpy cobblestone streets, and the familiarity of our tiny little Belgian apartment. And you really don't like being put into your new car seat and your grandparents' little dog chewed up your stuffed chicken toy. There's a lot to take in - new sights and smells and people. But as long as the three of us stick together, we'll be ok. Hang in there, it'll get easier. For all of us.

These past five months have been the happiest (and the hardest) five months of my life. Every day brings something new, and every day we love you more... and more... and more.

xo,
Mama


4 comments:

  1. Happy 5 months, Ina.
    (teared up reading this, btw. <3)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an amazingly sweet post. and what an amazingly cute baby! she's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, shoko! i imagine you're waiting to hear happy news that you're an auntie, right?? so exciting!

      Delete