Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Chicken & Corn Chowder-ish

My parents like spicy food... like, reeeaaaally spicy... grown men have cried at their table, one guy even jumped into the pool to try to kill the heat in his mouth (but that's another story). One evening, when I was in high school, my parents were making a spicy sauce to go with whatever dish they were preparing. Well, they over did it. It was completely inedible, even to their accustomed palettes. So they started to dilute it, little by little, adding this and that and broth and cream, going from small sauce pot to large stock pot..... and eventually invited all their friends over for a huge pot of moderately spicy soup.

That's sort of what happened to me last night - except I started with a pot of soup, and ended up with... a larger pot of soup. My creamy corn chowder, turned into not so creamy soup. Still delicious, still 100% Didz approved, but it lost its creaminess in the diluting process because I went a little overboard with the cayenne and the little devil chili peppers and added a lot more chicken broth to water it down.


I won't share my recipe (if you can even call it that), but I'll tell you this: I had browsed a lot of different cooking websites for recipes - and the ones that spoke to me most were the ones that included a bacon topping, and honestly, it was such a wonderful added surprise that I'll go out on a limb and say it should be required. The bit of saltiness, against the sweetness of the corn and the spiciness of the broth was perfect.


I haven't tried the leftovers yet, but I'm fairly sure it will be phenomenal after allowing the flavors to meld overnight. Also, I'm tucking this "recipe" away to try again in the summer when corn is in season and it will no doubt be monumentally better.

Happy February! The year has only just begun, but already it's flying by, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment